Friday, January 11, 2008

Psyche!

She is still on the inside.

Remember the 80's? And the movie Sixteen Candles? The part where they are all getting in the car to go to the wedding and it's chaos with everyone changing places and getting in and out of the car until they are finally all in makes me a little stressed out just watching them. And then they pull out of the driveway only to discover Long Duck Dong on the grass and they all get back out of the car again. It makes me laugh because you know it's going to take them forever to all get back in the car.

We resembled that part of the movie today... a little. Mom and I went out to install the carseat, the kids followed, then my brother and then Josh. We had the base of the carseat in with locking clip finally installed (those things are tough to get on). And then we put the stroller in the back with the carseat on top because we discovered that the carseat was too big to fit behind the driver's seat. So we had to take the base out. And then we tried to decide if we should take two cars or not. Josh won because he's always about having options and having two cars would allow him the option of leaving if he had to go and get something for me later. His decision saved us today, but I'll get to that.

So we decided that it was worth the parking fees to have both cars. And then we decided who would ride with him, and it ended up being Sarah (after she had just gotten in a little fight with Seth over who would get to sit where). Then there was the question of whether or not I should drive, and I won that one by just getting in the driver's side. Then Josh had to document everything with the camcorder. He said he would follow me, so at last I put the key in the ignition and backed out. I drove down the street and then stopped because he wasn't following. In my rear view mirror I watched him finally put the camcorder away, then get in the car, and then then get out of the car and go inside the house. Finally, when he was ready and back in the truck, we were able to get a move on.

The drive down was uneventful and traffic was good. I made sure that my brother was paying attention so that he would know how to get there. We were able to get parking spots right near each other (which isn't important since we were going to stay and they weren't, but it was still nice). We wandered around the first floor of the hospital looking for admitting... never having been told to go straight to the third floor to Labor and Delivery. We took the elevators farthest from where we ended up, but once we got there we were greeted by a nice nurse. She said that I could take one person with me and that I had to kiss everyone else good-bye right then and there. So I started hugging and kissing my kids and doing exactly as I was told.

Josh and I went our way, and they went their's (but my brother did come back later because I forgot to give him the keys to the van and the house). The first thing I did was get undressed and into the wonderful hospital gown that opens at the back. The nurse gave me a nice new pair of ugly brown socks to put on, too. Then I sat in a warm cozy chair and she hooked me up to the monitor. Baby's heartbeat was the background noise while I signed papers and she asked me questions and input everything into a computer. She even brought in an IV and was going to stick me with it eventually. But she asked the fated question instead... "Did you eat anything today?" I sure did... I ate the One-Eyed Egyptian that my husband lovingly made for me. "What time was that?" Just before we came, around 11am. She stopped and said that she would need to check with Anaesthesia before we could continue. She said that they had sent a lady home because she had had a glass of milk within 8 hours of surgery.

Josh and I were like, "Doh!" We thought we were old pros at this, but forgot that one detail about not eating before surgery. To be fair, the doctor's office failed to remind me and that's probably why the doc wasn't mad at us... he shared the blame. We braced ourselves for the news, and I was a little disappointed at first. And then I was relieved because I had originally wanted to schedule the surgery for Saturday, but they wouldn't let me. And I was a little worried about an afternoon c-section and would rather do it in the morning. Well, that's exactly what I'll be getting. I'll be going in tomorrow at 10am and this time I am not supposed to eat or drink anything after midnight.

Honestly, I wasn't ready today. I was tired. I had wanted to get a good night's rest, but had stayed up playing Rummikub with my mom and brother. We were having fun and I told myself that I would get rest when I was drugged up, but maybe I had put myself at a disadvantage for a better recovery.

Now I can get the rest I need and for Zoe's last day inside we went shopping at Fry's. It's a good thing that we had the truck because we met everybody at the Whataburger outside Fry's, ate lunch, and then went shopping. Nana bought the kids a new Wii game, Raymond Raving Rabbids 2. We got a new router, a DVD drive/recorder for my computer, and another guitar for Guitar Hero III... (Sarah and Josh are getting ready to battle for the first time as I type). Josh was trying to get a second guitar for a long time, but couldn't find them anywhere. He was shocked to see one sitting on the shelf and guarded it with his life or put it in Sarah's care to guard with her life for the rest of the time we were there. We thought it was the last one, but we saw a few others later on in a different area. Josh is very happy (and they're having fun now). Today was a great day.

I'm especially glad because now I have less to visualize... today was like a trial run. Now we don't have to do the Chinese fire drill to get into the car. Josh and I can leave everyone at home, and everyone can come when it's time to see baby later. My bro now knows the way. The kids can hang out with Nana and Uncle Doo in comfort.

So all of you that were expecting a call and didn't get one... we apologize! We will call you tomorrow!

5 comments:

Stewartville est. 1995 said...

JUST THE TITLE ALONE CRACKED ME UP!!!!!







I'M GLAD YOU TWO FIND HUMOR IN THIS, I WOULD BE MASSIVELY PISSED OFF

Josh Haley said...

Here we go...Round 2! On the way to the hospital now. Let's do this!

whatididlastnight said...

and here i thought you were going to be hardcore and liveblog the event. haha

congratulations and i love you, sis. kiss the nene(s) for me!!!!

Fancy Nancy Pants said...

Susan told me baby is soooooo beautiful! C- section? Ouch! Not fun! congradulations! Post pictures when you find some time. i would love to see some pictures of you new beautiful baby!

Stewartville est. 1995 said...

ok trish....where's the freakin' Zoe blog already???