Thursday, January 24, 2008

Flying Solo

My mom left today. She's headed for beautiful Hawaii to hang out with her sister for the weekend and then she'll be back on a plane for Guam. She has come out like this for every one of my children when they were born, but this time she didn't stay for a whole month, just a couple of weeks. It was noticeably different, but I'm just glad that she came at all.

So today is my first day flying solo during the day while my husband is at work. It's not totally solo because he still takes the kids to school every morning and gets the mail and does the grocery shopping and leaves the kids with the fear of fire and brimstone if they don't do their chores or bug me in any way while he is gone. And also all the kids are home sick with some kind of congestion or cough, but they're still good for running to get me things around the house.

Even Zoe is a bit snorty, but she's still able to nurse, thank goodness. I've never had a breastfed baby get sick so soon, but then again, I've never had so many kids going to school when I've had a baby. Clearly, the antibodies in breast milk are not a flawless protection from illness, but I still think that she would be way worse if she were not breastfed.

I'm happy to say that I haven't cried out in frustration once. Zoe has remained true to her current routine of waking up every four hours to eat. She has stayed asleep every time I have put her down, and I am still able to take care of my other kids. AND I'm off my heavy medication... last night I was four hours late taking my pill and didn't notice, so I think I'm OK to stop taking them until I feel like I need one. So far. so good.

My visiting teachers came by and brought dinner and cookies and a gift. I'm lucky that one of them is a nurse who actually takes care of newborns in the hospital where she works. She is the one that informed me that the reason why Zoe got formula for her first meal in the nursery is because she was a big baby... when babies are 8 pounds 9 ounces or bigger their blood sugar can drop dramatically after they come out of the mommy, so the nurses just give them a little bit of formula to keep their blood sugar up. She used some fancy word for this, but I don't remember what it was.

For those of you who don't know, visiting teachers are a couple of ladies who are members of the Relief Society (largest and oldest women's organization) who come to your house each month to visit you. They prepare a short gospel lesson, ask how they can serve you, and report back to the Relief Society on how you're doing. It's a way to watch and care for each member of the Relief Society, and it's fun to get visits or phone calls and little reminders that you are loved and cared for.

I love visiting teaching because when I am given certain sisters to visit it gives me the opportunity to be friends with women I
may not normally be friends with. I once visited a lady 50 years older than me and we became emailing buddies. She would give me advice from her vast experience of living, and I would astound her with my great listening abilities. Seriously, have you ever noticed how listening gets you the highest praise? You become the best person in the world because you listen and care. I'm glad for the opportunity to make friends in this way and it's fun to serve!

Susie isn't my visiting teacher, but already a good friend who happens to be a really good cook. She has brought us dinner twice already and plans to do it again tomor
row night. There's no stopping her. She's amazing. The first night she made a yummy Monterey Chicken and Rice Casserole and the second night she brought Stuffed Shells. And don't forget kolache rolls and Banana Split Cake. YUM! Susie also brought a teddy bear and candy to me in the hospital.

All the grandparents in Port A/Corpus sent yellow roses to us in the hospital--yellow roses are extra special in Texas. Josh's work sent mini roses in the mail... that was really cool. They are so pretty, too. My other visiting teacher brought homemade bread and a big bouquet of flowers shortly after we got home from the hospital.

My friend Ruth Ann
brought dinner last night... very simple... spaghetti with meat sauce, garlic bread, salad, green beans, and snickerdoodles. Seth ate two plates worth. I'm not sure if it's because it was right up his alley or if he's feeling better from being sick... probably both. The thing that gets me is that Ruth Ann has six kids... and she still brought dinner to us in the storming rain... that just humbles me.

Our old friends, the Bowens, brought dinner on Saturday... Spinach and Cheese Manicotti was a hit... funny how we are getting lots of pasta dishes. They are my favorite and I haven't been doing a lot of pasta for dinner lately because Josh isn't as fond of pasta as I am... but he has enjoyed the different variations we've received in the past week or so, we may yet convert him. Brooke and Justin also brought Christmas gifts and more baby gifts. They also drove over an hour to get to our house. Talk about devotion! We love you, man!

And finally, the Relief Society president in our ward brought dinner, too, on short notice. Not only that, but she made Chicken Enchiladas, salad, lemony poppy muffins, and brownies all on the same day that she was leaving to go out of town. How's that for dedication?

All of these examples of service leave me grateful for people who live their religion... they do it out of love for their God... that's the bottom line. I mean, I know I'm a likeable person, but it's the love of the Savior Jesus Christ that motivates them. And again, it's fun! Doing a service for others is good for your heart and makes you feel good. And I really needed this.

At first, I gave everyone the impression that we could handle everything and we didn't need anything, but I was surprised by my need to depend on someone to give just a little bit of relief when we first got home. If I had not had the weird experience I had on my first night of coming home, I don't think I would have asked for help. I'm glad that I did, and I'm glad that people responded.

THANK YOU!!

Yeah, I'm not really flying solo at all, am I?

4 comments:

KAPELE KREW said...

Amen Sista! You are loved so much. I am so glad that you are getting spoiled. You deserve it. Zoe is so pretty.I am jealous that all these people have met her!
lymy

Fancy Nancy Pants said...

I love this post. And you left my mouth watering as you described all those yummy meals.... especially Susan's meals. I've had all the meals she's cooked for you, and it's all delicioso!!!!!!

Wow, you got so many meals. YUMMY!!!!!!!!!
You little Zoe is so adorable. And I love all that jet black hair. I have total baldies for babies. That's cute too. All babies are to die for.

BBFE (blog buddies for ever)
I heard that somewhere (bbfe) and thaught it was so funny. I just had to use it!!!!!

Stewartville est. 1995 said...

hey nancy pantsy......what's up with everyone's blogs???


trish just had a baby 2 weeks ago and she keeps on truckin'.

but the fam is slackin' dude
and ohhhh nancy you are so nice, but you have the same recipes as i do...so the thanks doesn't go to me but to mom, the master cook.

anyway, i kept telling nancy how beautiful zoe is and i'm glad you put up more pics so she can see how right i am.

trish you are so nice to dedicate this blog to all those who serve. and you're right it is fun. but i think it really helps the one doing the service more then the ones we serve. interesting how that works.
it's always nice to get a meal for your family that you didn't have to stand up and cook all day, or mess up the kitchen for, etc...
but when you serve one of God's children, you develop stronger bonds with your fellow man (and woman)
and i love to do it!
and as soon as i feel better trish, i will have homemade pepperoni rolls and pistacio pie on it's way!!!
we love the haleys

Fancy Nancy Pants said...

Hey trish? You wore vans when you were 5 or 6? How old are you because I remember loving cans, I mean vans in High School. I can't be that much older than you.... can I? I'm 36 .... YOU?