Sunday, May 4, 2008

Free Hugs

If you have been to josh's blog lately you will have noticed his infatuation with the Sick Puppies (it's not just all about Emma Anzai and how she rocks the bass and goes off on stage and how she really is a very accomplished bass player). He drove to Austin with his buddy to see them in concert (and not just take a picture with the band and then cut everybody out except for him and EA and then write Josh hearts Emma all over the dang place) and came back with a t-shirt for me sporting the "Free Hugs" sign on the front. If you're confused... I'll post a link to the video. Long story short... Sick Puppies recorded a song for a dude holding a "Free Hugs" sign. It's actually very cool.

So I went to the mall on Saturday wearing my "Free Hugs" t-shirt in public for the first time.

Hang on, first let me give you a little background. The first time I put on this shirt, Zoe splashed me with spit-up. The second time I put it on, I splashed oil on it and immediately had to take it off and hand wash it so it wouldn't stain. And the third time I put it on was Saturday. Josh said, "Be careful, you might get hugged wearing that shirt."

Lo and behold, I'm walking through the mall pushing a stroller with the three older kids in tow, and I glance up and the most unusually dressed person steps in front of me with arms spread wide. It took me a split second to realize what was happening and with a big smile I said, "Do you want a hug?" So I did! I hugged the guy with spiked hair that I wasn't sure was a guy or girl. This wasn't just a lean forward-barely-touch-and-then-lightly-tap-his-back kind of hug. I hugged him the way I would a good friend, and we held it long enough for it to be heartfelt and before it got too creepy. And then I simply continued walking without looking back. I was laughing and incredulous that someone actually got my shirt. My kids must have thought I was nuts.

Later, Zack reflected my own thoughts by saying, "Was that a guy or a girl?" Sarah said, "It was a guy! Of course it was a guy!" and Seth said, "With spikey hair." So that's all I remember about the encounter. Sarah said that he worked there because of the logo he had on the front and back of his shirt. I'll have to ask my friend Julie if the description fits anyone she knows since she works there, too.

Well, here's my picture wearing the shirt on the same day I got my first hug (because there may just be many more encounters in my future, who knows?), laugh it up, watch the vid and tell me what you think!

4 comments:

Stewartville est. 1995 said...

oh, that's too funny....you are one brave son of a gun to wear that out....i'm not a big hugger so i would have probably freaked out a little.

sooo funny trish

KAPELE KREW said...

That is so you to wear that shirt! I love that Zack asked if it was a boy or girl. So funny. You do give the best hugs, so the shirt is quite appropriate!

Trish said...

Yeah, I'm a bit of a nut. Thanks guys! Hugs should be free anyway. I kinda feel bad that I didn't talk to him more because the guy at www.freehugscampaign.org talked to the people he hugged and found out that their dog died or whatever.

Oh, and the Sick Puppies song is just their song that they contributed to the video... it wasn't recorded FOR the free hugs guy. Just to clarify. Besides, if you listen to the lyrics of "All the Same" it's not all that hug friendly.

Fancy Nancy Pants said...

That is funny. I love hugs, I'd even give a hug to a stranger....
But in the mall? Out of the blue? For no apparent reason? You're crazy girl!
But I'm glad you liked it. Maybe you made that guy's (or girl) day!
You never know.

Zach gives hugs out to so many people and strangers and it always makes people smile.