Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Creative Juices

I'm back on deadline with my day job and all I want to do is make stuff. Several of my friends are expecting, and in my internet wave riding adventures, I found Jill. She posts her creative projects a la Martha Stewart on her blog and I just love her style. I want to make dolls (even though I don't particularly care for dolls and cut the hair off all my Barbies when I was a little girl), burp cloths, and cloth baby shoes. (All of these are on Jill's blog... I've added her to my faves, so check her out.)

In addition to the projects of my new virtual BFF (whether she likes it or not) I'm crocheting the edges of blankets and burp cloths. The proper way to get the holes around the edges is made by a hemstitching machine—a very rare and very expensive machine. You can send your fabric off to someone who owns one of these machines and they'll send it back with perfect holes perfect for crocheting. I paid just over three bucks for a winged needle and have developed my own process of zigzag stitching and crocheting in the holes made by the winged needle. It requires a little more umph to get the needle through the hole, but I think I like the results. I'd rather pay in sweat than dollars. I'll add a picture so you can steal the idea from me and get your own creative juices flowing. Then we can neglect our day jobs together...
Oh snap! I probably should watch what I write because I got a call from my boss today and she announced that she had read my blog. Well, maybe that was just a one time thing since it was a post dedicated to her... anyway, I'm getting off right. now. to. go. get. some. work. done. yeah. that's right.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Stewartville est. 1995 said...

and it looks even cuter in real life!!

Fancy Nancy Pants said...

Seriously, Doesn't Susie have the best ideas?!#@!

I'm glad you're coming up with some burp towels of your own. If I had another baby I would too.

And BTW - that site you found is awsome. Dang Blast! Some peeps are so talented! Dang. Gimmie some crafty talent, sista's! You know what I mean?

Fancy Nancy Pants said...

Oh yeah, and you know how to (Ok I know this is going to be spelled wrong - so I'm just gonna spell it out the way is sounds....)
crow-shay? Dang girl.
And those materials are to die for cute. I love the little butterflies. And the pink. And the stipes. Good eye, Trish.

Trish said...

Josh's Granny Polly taught me how to crochet (it's a French word... my dad says they always put more letters in the word than is needed). It's soooOOooo mind numbing and therapeutic. I love to be doing something in front of the tv... helps justify the hours I've spent in front of the tube.

Yes, Susie is amazing... I've sung her praises on my blog many times.

Thanks Nance and Suze for your comments! And BTW, Doug is gonna tan your hide when he sees those pics of Jacob in a pink nightgown. The truth always comes out!

Ola said...

It looks GREAT!!! :)
Oh, and I think I have you blanket and plate... :)

homemade by jill said...

Trish -

First, thanks so much for the nice things you said about my blog. I am 100% flattered.

And second, I LOVE your crocheted edges. I have seen that done before on blankets, but couldn't figure out how to punch the holes in the fabric. Anyhow, it looks fantastic.

Jill

Stewartville est. 1995 said...

whoa trish...jill commented on your blog


and complimented you....girl now you know i'm not lying about how cute your burp rags are

KAPELE KREW said...

This is one of the reasons you are my BFF. YOUR TALENTS ARE AMAZING! I wish I had just one of them! Happy mothers day. I love you!

CHMomma said...

totally didnt know you worked at home! ive been dying to work out of the house and make extra moola! do share your secrets with a sista!

Trish said...

It's like having a celebrity visit your blog! Hi Jill!! Thanks for the comment. And all you other people I know and love- thanks for visiting!

Fausett Family Facts said...

You are awesome and inspiring in your own right. I added your blog and Jill's to my family blog as friends. I know my family will love both of your talents. Thanks!!!

Kelly said...

I have tried to learn this SOOO many times, and it's hard to do. You must have an endless supply of patience!!