Tuesday, May 27, 2008

More Onesies, Burp Cloths, Etc.

First, Zoe is all better. Thanks to all you well-wishers. And I scored some chocolate at the dollar store the other day, so I'm good. I mean, Zoe thanks you for helping her get better! Actually, I got sick too, and slept most of Memorial Day while Josh and the kids slaved away in the yard. Josh calls one of the sago palms "Cousin It" and they gave him a big time hair cut. He'll probably blog about it. Anyway, I'm all better, too. By the way, did you know that Twix Java is out? As if that candy bar needed any more incentive to eat it.

Second, Sarah and I are totally addicted to the Ting Tings lately (their song "Shut Up and Let Me Go" is in an ipod commercial). We did Gwen for a while, and we still go back to her in the car, but now when I walk by Sarah's room I can hear "Imagine all the girls... ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah" blaring. Josh knows what we like and turned us on to them. But it's a good thing Sarah has him to also expose her to a variety of really great music. She eats everything up that he teaches her. She has a drum pad that she practices on, she learned a song on the ukulele, and yesterday I heard her playing the electric bass. I gotta figure out how to do the hyper text (and be cool like Juli and Angry Asian and Homemade by Jill and Josh) to link to the video he posted. **I know how to use the link button now!! Check out my girl playing her grandpa's Kamaka. (Thanks papa'!)

Now for the crafty pics...

First set has really soft yellow felt with bunnies that a friend (M) gave me in a big bag of fabric scraps she didn't want anymore. I only had a little left and I really wanted to make something the baby could touch, so I made a soft toy. B is for
baby, burp, bunny or Bailey (name of the baby that is coming in October... yeah, they already got her name). Then when you flip the burp cloth or the soft toy it's a D for Daddy. (Or a q or a p... you get the idea.) The socks will probably fall apart... I didn't stitch around the hearts because the fabric is stretchy and I'm just not savvy enough on the sewing machine to do stretchy. So it's just for looks.



The next set is more of the same with some extra touches. I sewed ribbon on one edge of the fabric on the burp cloth. I made a hair bow clip with the same ribbon. And then I got an original thought for the socks. I crocheted pieces of fabric to the edge. It's really easy to crochet the edge of socks and I've seen people do it with chain stitches and beads for little girls, but beads and babies don't mix (as if pieces of fabric can't get caught in a baby's airway). I have n
o idea if these fabric pieces are secure enough. Who knows what will happen when they get washed. So it seems that these socks are for looks, too. I predict that the baby I made this for will have an outfit for each day of every month and year and so will only need to wear the socks once anyway... heh heh. This set has one other piece coming so I'll post it when I'm done.




And that's all the pics I have for you today.

I want to thank Josh's Grandma for buying me this sewing machine years ago... without it I would not be able to escape into a craft world. And thanks to Josh's mom for taking the time to teach me how to sew... one thing I remember is that "spit" is one of the tools of the trade. And then the German lady I took a class from when I was pregnant with my first baby... she deserves my thanks, too. She helped me learn how to make stuff from a pattern... kind of.

Now that the kids are older, I am able to help them make little sewing projects, too. Sarah made a soft bookmark out of the fabric scraps after cutting out a pattern for a shirt we're making for her. (She said, "Now I just need a book to put it in.") Who knows if we'll be able to make it through this pattern and still be related to each other. We've already had little spats just cutting out the pieces. Uh, Mom... What? I don't know if this is the right line. Did you cut it already? Just a little. Why didn't you ask me before you cut it if you weren't sure?

6 comments:

Angry Asian said...

i'll write you a separate email tomorrow morning on how to link. for now, my brain is pretty fried.

i am in LOVE with the socks with the pretty frills!!! i used to rock socks like that back in the day! i was just thinking recently that i would love to get me some socks like those again. now i'll attempt to MAKE them. :)

~Lan

Kelly said...

I can't believe you made all of these items. Great work!!

Fausett Family Facts said...

Look at you and your talents. They look so professional. Yea Trish. I do have one question. How do you find the time?

Trish said...

Thanks guys! This what I do between the hours of 1 am and 3am... sometimes. Or I will take every opportunity during a Saturday afternoon to sew and create while the baby sleeps. I think the clinical term is OCD. So it's not really that I have the time, but more that I sacrifice sleep or eating to make stuff because I get obsessed. As for looking professional... uh, that's cause you can't inspect it properly.

Robbin don't you still make stuff? Marilyn is the one who gave me her fabric.

Fausett Family Facts said...

Yeah, I still make stuff. Yours just looks so much better. Do you still talk to Marilyn? I am sure she had tons of fabric. My family thinks I have OCD as well. There is just a time and season for all things. I am learning that in my old age. hahahaha

Stewartville est. 1995 said...

awww...love it trish.

making baby stuff is so much fun!!