Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Health Reports on Halloween

Today was a bummer day in the health report department. Lots going on, but I'm not at liberty to spill about anyone else's report besides my own. I found out today that I failed my 3-hour glucose test. So I officially have gestational diabetes. I tried to call Betty to get some info (she had GD with all her pregnancies, I think) but she wasn't answering. I'll cut her some slack, though, she just had her baby on Saturday.

I did a little reading up on it to find out that no one really knows why GD occurs. There was some jibber jabber about how the placenta makes hormones that blocks the mommy's ability to create insulin or the insulin's ability to absorb glucose thus increasing the glucose level in the blood. Then the scary news about the risks for both mommy and baby of getting diabetes later on in life or becoming obese. All good things to know, I guess, but here I am obsessing about whether or not I'll have to prick my finger four times a day to monitor my blood sugar. Ugh. Just thinking about it gives me goose bumps and I have to shudder.

It's always the small paper cuts that give the most pain, right? So I'm not entirely crazy to wonder about it. Of course I have never had a severed arm or anything that traumatic, so maybe I don't know what I'm talking about. I do know that I won't be able to do the dishes... because I haven't done them since the day I got skewered. Well, that's one way to psyche myself up. Maybe this won't be so bad.

I should count my blessings... the pain in my hand is not as acute anymore. I can close my fist without wincing. There is a one inch bruise there to match the one below my elbow which is a slightly darker purple. My two elbows are OK, too, where the bruises are not as large.

So I will survive. I can do this.

3 comments:

KAPELE KREW said...

I have had it with 2 kids. It sucks, because you can't eat very many carbs, but it keeps you in check. FOLLOW THE DIET! If you don't you might have to have insulin shots. That is crappy. I'm sorry you have to have this. Not much longer though!LYMY

Stewartville est. 1995 said...

FOLLOW THE DIET IS RIGHT!!

I'M WATCHING YOU

Stewartville est. 1995 said...

YA AND MAYBE THEY WILL TAKE YOUR BABY A WEEK OR TWO EARLY.