Thursday, February 28, 2008

Knight Rider

OK, so I've been mentally gathering material for blogs and now it's all coming out since I've finished my last calendar for the month... doesn't mean I don't have other things to do, it's just that none of it is due today. Oh, and baby happens to be asleep. I don't think I've ever posted more than two times in one day. Just consider your coupon tripled.

Josh and I watched the pilot for the new Knight Rider series last week sometime. I used to watch this every week back when David Hasselhoff was hot. Only we didn't say he was hot. We probably said he was "bitchen" or something totally 80's. I was 12 when it came out and could recognize the predictability of it... I was mature enough to know that a talking car that always wins would get old someday. My brother, Robert, was 8 (my Zack's age) and he loved Knight Rider more than air. I bet him $5 that by the time he was 16 he wouldn't love Knight Rider anymore, but he ruffled with indignation at the thought that such a thing could ever occur and declared "I will always love Knight Rider!" Of course, he turned 16, lost interest in KITT and Michael Knight, conveniently forgot the bet and I never got my $5.

S
o naturally, when I heard the theme music start on the new and improved Knight Rider, I thought of my brother. I liked that they didn't change the theme music, but only updated it a little. I also like that it's a continuation of the original show with lots of references to "25 years ago". And it really was 25 years ago when this show first aired... and I never thought I would reach a point where 25 years would fit in my life span. I can actually say, "I was there 25 years ago!" It doesn't make me feel old, it makes me feel accomplished! I've reached a milestone.

The new driver, Justin Bruening, is kinda hot... I could watch this show to see him in action--even though the predictability is still there. I really like the voice of KITT. And I like the new mustang diggs they've made KITT into. Mustangs rule Trans Ams any day. I thought the love interest was kind of eyeliddy... you know what I mean? She's like Clay Aiken with the slow blinking in her acting. It's kind of irritating.

Are there any Knight Rider fans out there? Anybody see the new Knight Rider and want to comment?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I saw the new Knight Rider and yes I want to comment!

I'm the eight year-old Knight Rider-loving brother (only 25 years older now). Although I may have taken a hiatus from religiously watching Knight Rider - mostly because the show went off the air and I was tired of looking for reruns at 3 a.m. on TV Land - I'm back and just as committed to "always loving Knight Rider" as I was then.

When I first saw the promo for the new Knight Rider during the Superbowl, I immediately set the TiVo to record it. I still have the pilot on my TiVo and watch parts of it every now and then until they start the new episodes.

The car is sweet! The "eyeliddy" girl is pretty, and the new driver is trying to be Brad Pitt. Although the bad acting, camera angles and cheesy cut-aways to different scenes reminded of a Nickelodeon after school show.

I was shocked when the characters in the show referenced that the last KITT was made 25 years ago. I couldn't believe it has been that long. The special cameo by the original Michael Knight was inevitable.

Other than that...I have nothing to say about the new Knight Rider.

Trish said...

Hey Rob! I am so happy that you left your comment since this post is dedicated to you. It's funny how you went on and on and then ended with a Forrest Gump, "That's all I have to say about that." Well, keep the five bucks... it was only a matter of time for you to be back loving Knight Rider... after 25 years, it's a cool vintage thing now. Love ya!