Saturday, February 16, 2008

Girls' Night Out -- Oh Yeah!

All my California friends went out to see 27 Dresses for a girls' night out weeks ago. I was so bummed that I couldn't go with them, but I kept my "Debbie Downer" negative comments to myself. I think I even wished them a happy day. I didn't want to ruin the perfect happiness of my girlfriends by throwing out a guilt trip for my being in Texas. It's not like their lives have to be morose or stop completely just because I'm not there. And now I can happily report that I've seen 27 Dresses with a couple of girlfriends! No one need pity me! (Read: I no longer feel sorry for myself!)

Susie's sister Nancy came from Utah for a visit, and last night we went to see the movie--just us girls (and my Zoe). It was fun to meet Nancy in person--she's way cool, but I already knew that from reading her blog. Anyone who can have six kids (which include an adorable Downs Syndrome boy and a set of twins) and still have their sanity intact is way up there on my list of cool people to know.

We all enjoyed the movie... it was the perfect chick flick. No matter what the critics say about the lack of originality in the script, it was way fun to watch. Girls just wanna have fun! We're not thinking about how smart the script is. I loved the bar scene (when Jane goes "outside" to unleash obscenities in one big breath), the yoga scene (where sidekick homegirl gets to show her true colors and make us laugh), and when homeboy admits that he cried at a wedding. Benny and the Jets was hilarious, too--talk about the perfect song to muck up the lyrics to. Who even knows what the heck Elton John is singing about in that song anyway? Be honest... if you know without googling it, do tell.

Zoe slept through the whole movie. She's a big one-month-old and I was a little worried about how she would do, but she slept in my arms through the loud movie, bouncing up and down when I laughed, and merely fluttering her eyelids during the baby crying sounds in the commercial where they politely tell you to keep quiet during the movie. I was very happy that I didn't have to bust it out during the movie. She waited until we got home before making me pay the full price of going out (read on).

After the movie, we went out for appetizers and dessert. I got fried mushrooms, fried cheese, and fried twinkies. I think I'm good on the fried food for a while. Susie and Nancy got "Death by Chocolate" which reminded me of the Mud Pie from a Kaneohe, Hawaii restaurant... (the Chart House? I can't remember the name.) The Mud Pie had an Oreo cookie crust, a layer of Kona Coffee Ice Cream, a layer of Chocolate Mac Nut Ice Cream, then a thick layer of hot fudge over the top. The slice ended up being five inches tall... it was glorious. Well, I think Nancy was trying to hit all her old haunts and the dessert wasn't like she remembered it. It had an Oreo cookie crust, one giant layer of Rocky Road Ice Cream, and a thick layer of Magic Shell chocolate over the top. Susie agreed that they had changed something and it wasn't as good.

Before we left, I took Zoe to the bathroom for a diaper change and she got to use the Koala changing table thingy for the first time. She looked like she was digging it. It was fun being "out on the town". I even carried her in her car seat. Technically, I'm supposed to wait one more week, but I didn't feel any pain at the time. Today, however, is a different story. I'm so sore! Zoe's amazing adventures last night didn't help, either.

We got home around 10:20pm. Guess what time Zoe went to sleep? 3:40 in the frickin morning! She was so exhausted that she slept for 8 hours... hallelujah, right? Wrong. Sleeping 8 hours is great when it's like from midnight to 8am. That would have me singing with the choirs of angels, but getting up at noon is not something to get excited about. Plus, my boobs were like rocks. I had to wake her up to save me... and it hurt when she finally did wake up and get latched on. I had to purposefully tell myself to relax my arms when I was feeding her... my arms were clenched so tight. Normally, these days, nursing doesn't hurt much at all. We just have to stay on a regular schedule and I will make it through OK.

So I hit the Tylenol today to cope. Zoe is sleeping soundly at the moment. She slept earlier so that I could clean the fridge, and now I have to go finish the job. There's nothing like splashed soda all over the inside of your fridge to motivate you to clean out the entire thing with soapy warm water.

Man! It's dinner time and I haven't had lunch yet.

7 comments:

Stewartville est. 1995 said...

it was way fun, and those were all my favorite parts of the movie too!


damn you trish, i tried to carry the carseat for you but you gave me the ..."no, you're pregnant"
line.

dude, you should have listened to me!

what a night, i'm sorry you had to pay a huge price to enjoy a much needed girls night out!

we'll definately do it again sometime.....when your body is more ready for such an event!

Trish said...

Suze... you're not supposed to carry stuff when you're pregnant! Joe would tan my hide if he knew I let you carry a heavy carseat with a 13 pound Zoe in it. And besides, you never let me get away with it when I was pregnant.

I still had a fun night and I'm glad we did it!

Fancy Nancy Pants said...

Trish,
I loved meeting you and I'm so glad we went out. I love "girls night out" and hope to have another one next time I come down.

Your adorable, your family's adorable, your house is adorable, and it was so much fun becoming friends!

Stewartville est. 1995 said...

it was fun!

Fancy Nancy Pants said...

I'm planning my next trip, Trish! Ready for another girls night out? We'll have to make it more fun next time - more hanging out, less movie.....

Trish said...

Hey Nancy! It was fun meeting you, too. I am ready for another girls night, you kidding?! And I agree... more hanging out and less movie. Doing nothing is one of my pastimes.

Fausett Family Facts said...

I am commenting from Kristens page. Yes, this is Robbin from Vacaville. Thanks for the hugs from Texas and I am sending lots of hugs from Vacaville. Your family has grown and they are so precious. congrats!! Looks like you are all doing well. We do miss you around here though. It has been fun to check out your page and see how you and your family are doing. Lots of love, Robbin.