Thursday, April 24, 2008

Hanging with the Boss

My boss took me to lunch today. She came all the way out from California! Well, not just to see me... she's actually in the Houston area on vacation with her husband and another couple. Still, it made me feel good that she made the time to come and see me and Zoe. There were added benefits, too, because my house hasn't been this clean in weeks! I turn into a clean freak when company is coming.

As part of my need to make my boss welcome, I finally took the newspapers to the school to put in their recycling bins (with Sarah's help). The school gets credit, we feel good about saving the Earth, and everybody's happy. Only the newspapers have to take over a good portion of my kitchen before I get to that point. I'm almost de-sensitized to their presence because I hardly recognize the new space I'm living in now that they're gone and I wonder how I could have ever let it go on and on like that. Anyway, Happy Belated Earth Day.

Back to the subject of my boss... she is one of the most generous people I know. She treats her employees like family (in which case, I could have left the house alone because when you're family, you're not company, therefore, my clean-freak switch is not flipped to full capacity). The bonuses at Christmas and birthdays and sometimes just because have always seemed to me to come at just the right time. I love that she has been an instrument in the hands of God and an answer to my prayers countless times--whether she knows it or not. I appreciate her as a woman in the world today who owns her own company, but family has always come first. She is also very laid back. Her company keeps growing, but she never stresses anybody out with demands or expectations. She leaves people to their work and it all gets done. And if it's less than perfect? Well, there's always next month to do better. Once, I asked for a raise--it took me ten minutes to get the words out and a split second for her to say yes. My boss is everyone's fantasy boss.

Oh, and I know she doesn't read my blog, so this isn't a kiss up... she never read any of my reviews that I wrote for her company, so why start? She said she knew I was doing a good job because when I was writing the reviews she didn't hear any complaints about the reviews which was not the case before I got the job. October will be my 10 year anniversary with them. It has been the best temporal job ever.

(The best job ever is motherhood.)