Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Christmas Again

So I got my post in last night, and the time stamp was 20 minutes before actual time. I could have kept right on going... so I will... right here... right now...

Did I mention that we had a fire going for most of the day? I was glad that it was cold enough for it, and I am stoked that my husband is so into fireplaces now. He's like a new and improved model husband... the kind that likes lighting fires and no longer complains about "wasted" wall space where the fireplace is. I'm loving this.

He is a way cool daddy, too. Seth had been waiting for the last few days for "egg time". He won a "Cook with Daddy" reward with a token (frog program) grab, and Josh said that he planned to make loco mocos for dinner on Christmas Day. He told Seth he could help fry the eggs. So up until the minute, Seth kept asking "Is it egg time yet, Daddy?" When it was finally time, I was sitting at the kitchen table doing my own thing and listening to Josh teach Seth how to crack and open the egg into the pan. I smiled a little when I heard him tell Seth that he should get closer to the pan next time so that it doesn't splash all over and break the yolk. Seth cracked, flipped with a spatula, and cooked three eggs of which he ate two and I ate one. He was really proud.

The other two kids couldn't take it... they had to cook their own eggs, too. So even though they didn't win it, Josh taught each of them how to cook eggs. Sarah got the upgraded version where she flips the eggs in the pan without the spatula, and it was fun to hear Josh yelling his approval when she did it. Zack ended his cooking session with a little burn to his finger--it wasn't bad at all--and he made a smooth recovery complete with a built-in safety lesson about turning off the stove the minute something happens. He ran his finger under the tap and then a soak in ice water, and he was all good.

So even though dinner wasn't exactly like going out to kill it and drag it home for dinner, the kids were sure proud of having cooked their own eggs as if they did. It's nice that something so simple has the potential to turn into a top-ten Christmas memory. I hope this one stands out for them because it sure did for me.

I like doing crafty things on Christmas Day. So the kids got klutz books from us... a glider one for each of the boys and a pom pom animal one for Sarah. The boys did theirs, but Sarah played with theirs and not hers. The other thing we did was put together a fleece throw for each of them. We had been to JoAnn Fabrics the day before and got them for half price. I did the cutting of the fringe and Sarah and Zack did the tying. Seth refrained from helping because he said it was too hard. It's nice to see them using their blankets now and they all match Zoe... she got a fleece blanket from one of the ladies at the office. And now that they have their own, they don't mess with my fleece snowman one that I got from Kristen a few Christmases ago.

We went to bed a little late, but probably would not have done that even if I had not been scheduled for a doctor appointment today. Seth and Zack were just as cozy in their new sheets and comforters as Sarah (who got hers some time ago when she outgrew her favorite blanket and the boys have followed in her footsteps outgrowing theirs), so it was hard to wake them up this morning, but we got to the doc on time. I got put on the monitor (FAD) like last week and then went to see my doctor. No contractions this time, but it's probably because I'm taking medicine. I'm still not in labor and the doctor said I need to stay that way for at least ten more days. Gotta keep baking that bun in the oven. I have another appointment next week, and then it's c-section time the following week.

Time is beginning to speed up for me as I realize this. I'm not ready! The baby bed (co-sleeper) is ordered and on its way. We have diapers and wipes and a new diaper bag (thanks to a couple of ladies at the office who got me a Target gift card). We also have clothes, blankets and other things that the other ladies at the office sent (they did a baby shower in a box for me complete with color picture of all of them at the office which is nice because I only ever see them when we go on a company cruise). We also bought the car seat and stroller last Saturday because I couldn't wait until after Christmas. We had spent the day moving our room around to accommodate baby and it just seemed like the natural thing to do... I was in baby mode. There's still lots to do, but we're making progress.

I meant to blog about my baby shower that Brooke and Susie threw for me on the 15th. Or did I? Maybe I didn't. Man, I'm losing it. We didn't take any pictures, but I did get a picture of the big baby shower cake that Brooke made out of a case of diapers. I'll have to post that. It was dang huge.

Gotta go finish up with the Christmas packing for mailing. I'm so lame. I got gifts done sometime around Thanksgiving, but am only now sending them after the big day. So, when you get your gift from me, just be thankful that it's not March... when last year's Christmas card got to you. Christmas is the same time every year, and I still manage to be late. Sorry!

Hope your Christmas was a memorable one! Let's see those posts, now!

6 comments:

Josh Haley said...

FIRST POST! W00t!!!

KAPELE KREW said...

That sounds like a perfect day. My kids love making eggs.

Fancy Nancy Pants said...

Hey Trish, I love reading your posts. Susan is right, you are so cute. someday we'll have to meet.
Maybe in Febuary! I'm thinking of taking a weekend trip because I need to see my crazy sister...
anyway, I'd love to meet you. You feel like one of my friends because Susan uses you in almost all of our conversations.
(don't worry - all good ;)
Anyway, just came to say Happy Holidays!

Trish said...

Hey Nancy! Thanks for the comment. You are the coolest mom! I love your blog--great pictures and all about family. It will be awesome to meet you in February if you come. Your sis is a touch crazy, but we like her like that. Now that her morning sickness has died down a bit, I'm loving that she's back! She can eat and watch other people eat without tossing her cookies. It's VERY nice.

Stewartville est. 1995 said...

touch crazy....oh no you di-ent

Trish said...

Oh Susie. You know you're nuts, but in a good way, see. You're like mac nuts in milk chocolate... a real compliment to something already yummy on its own.