Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Aloha Friends

Last week I went to lunch with a bunch of ladies from Church. One of the ladies had helped out in Primary for several weeks as Primary Chorister even while she also served as a Den Mother in Cub Scouts... and had to give a 5th Sunday lesson to the combined RS and EQ... and played the piano at my son's baptism. She did everything without complaint and with smiles. (Maybe she yelled at her husband when she got home, I don't know, but I really doubt it -- she doesn't seem the type.) Anyway, we appreciated all of her hard work and decided to treat her to lunch. We invited her daughter-in-law to come since she is a teacher in the Primary and celebrated a birthday this month. I also invited my friend Brooke so that I could buy her lunch for her birthday and wouldn't it be festive to have all of us ladies together? I chose a new restaurant called Aloha Hawaiian BBQ and it was decided that we would meet there.

I caught a ride with Arwen since Susie had a headache and had to run an errand. I saw Susie at the school that morning because we were "helping" with picture day. We were really just standing out in the hallway talking and being bad examples to the kids waiting quietly in the hallway for their turn to go into the Multi-Purpose room to flash their pearly whites. We decided to leave early since we weren't really helping and Susie really didn't look that good, but we parted ways expecting to see each other at Aloha BBQ.

Arwen and I found Brooke (and cutie pie Kyra) waiting in the parking lot and we all went in together. Tobi showed up next with baby Emily in tow. Next, our guest of honor, Becky, came in with Ola and little Olivier. We decided what we were going to order and still Susie had not shown up. I half expected her not to come, but just as we ordered, she came in. She looked worse, but was determined to stay for lunch. After a little drug dispensing by parties that will remain anonymous, Susie started to look a little better.

kATSUdON

Our lunch came and we were able to chat and eat and even Susie ate. She really liked the gingery teriyaki sauce. Everyone liked the food and we had lots leftover for everyone to take some home. I was relieved to know that the place I picked was a hit.

And then disaster struck. Or at least, I like to call it a blessing in disguise (sorry Susie). Susie went to the bathroom feeling very nauseated... and then she asked me to drive her home. Her husband was working about an hour and a half away, so calling him was out, and I was glad for the chance to do my BFF duty. Driving a friend home is not a big deal to me. Jumping off a cliff is, and I was pretty sure that if Susie needed me to jump off a cliff, I'd do it. And besides, it was nice to get the chance to "put your money where your mouth is," you know?

So... my friend was sick and really not looking too good, but I was just so excited to drive her big black Chevy Tahoe. (Woo hoo!) And when we were in the car and I was behind the wheel of the "batmobile" she asked me to help her pick up her kids from school--as if that would be too much to ask--but I was just excited to pick up Brooklyn from Mother's Day Out! And what a reaction I got from little Brookie! When she first saw me, there were loud, surprised, happy exclamations coming out of her and then she immediately burst into tears. It was almost like I had rescued her from the darkest dungeon. The little princess thrust herself into my arms when the teacher brought her to me -- all the while trying to keep her contained because it was nap time for all the other little kids.

beautifulbrookwishesdadahappyfathersday2007a

(This is Brooklyn. Ain't she the cutest dang thing?)

I didn't get the same reaction when picking up the older kids, but pretty close. I got hugs and smiles. These are the best kids, man. They are loving and respectful and kind, and they all helped their Mom in the smallest way when they knew she was sick. I dropped them all off at home and walked down the street to my house. I could tell Susie was grateful, but still really sick and needing to sleep it off. That was enough for me, but she didn't leave it at that.

The next day she brought me the best Oatmeal Raisin Cookies in a cute box along with a plate of sugar cookies and a card. It was the equivalent of a dude on the Budweiser commercial saying, "I love you, man!" and she actually did write that in the card. Isn't she the best?

Now her birthday is tomorrow and she stopped by my house today. The doorbell rang, and when I opened the door, there was Brooklyn standing there with a bag she stretched out to me. I was happy to see her in her cute outfit and matching hair tie. The girl is always bedecked with matching bows of some kind. So in the bag is the first outfit we have received for our baby girl (the one that kicked the crap out of me last night while watching House, MD) and a cute little album for holding--what else??--COUPONS!

I was so excited because I've been trying to come up with a good way to tote my coupons with me in case of a shopping emergency. That's when your husband drags you out the door on a Saturday and you end up at HEB shopping for groceries and you didn't bring a shred of clipped newspaper money. So now I can't wait to get organized.

Isn't Susie great? She gives presents on her birthday. Now that's some swell friend! I love that we live down the street from each other, our kids go to the same school, we both serve in the Primary at church, and when my little Zoe comes out we'll have the same order gender of kids as she does (girll, boy, boy, girl). Which is way cool because I want to be just like Susie. I already stole her frog program (see Josh's youtube video... maybe I can figure out how to post it here).



OK, lest my other BFF's in CA get jealous... I love you guys, too! Kristen's birthday is on Sunday and Betty is also hapai and having a girl just like me. They're just so far away. They ought to be happy that I'm no longer all by myself out here in the Great Lone Star State. It's nice to have someone's back and for them to have mine.

BTW, it's kind of funny that after helping Susie out, I fell asleep and didn't pick up Seth on time. In fact, I was 40 minutes late. Josh was already on his way home from work worried about what happened to me. I was so zonked I didn't hear the phone ringing off the hook. He forgave me for the big scare because he was able to eat the leftovers from Aloha BBQ. Mac salad is the way to a man's heart and forgiveness.

OH! I forgot to tell you about the shave ice dessert at Aloha BBQ! It's to die for... a bowl of shaved ice topped with chopped strawberries, chopped mango, chopped honeydew--each in its own quadrant, topped in the middle with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and then drizzled with some kind of yummy tropical sauce. No one else makes this... not even the other Aloha BBQ in Katy. It's a $5 dessert, but well worth it... especially on a hot day... it's very refreshing. Go get some. The website is www.aloha-bbq.com.


10 comments:

Stewartville est. 1995 said...

CORRECTION

IT'S A SUBURBAN Z-71

THAT'S IMPORTANT!!!!

GEEZ TRISH

Stewartville est. 1995 said...

you know...i don't know what i ever did without my girl T-bomb!!

Stewartville est. 1995 said...

ya we don't just "happened" to serve in primary together....
you picked me....i was a stranger to you at the time....so i guess some one with great power knew i needed a friend like you.

Stewartville est. 1995 said...

BUT SERIOUSLY...NEXT TIME YOU REFER TO THE BATMOBILE AS A TAHOE...


YOU'RE GOING DOWN

Trish said...

Dude. I couldn't remember. What the heck? It's big, it's black... whatever.

Stewartville est. 1995 said...

not "whatever" chicklet...take it back!

Stewartville est. 1995 said...

by the way, some of my fam is communicating to you through my comments...you've been approved by my sibs

DUDE, YOU'RE IN!!

Stewartville est. 1995 said...

hey, i see you're on right now!!


so,


what's up?

Stewartville est. 1995 said...

let me be the first to say...i LOVE this blog...who is this SUPERsusie...she sounds simply divine!!

Trish said...

I'm reading antique mommy... dang she is hilarious and she actually has relatives in Tuna. I'm emailing my in-laws. They would love her. What's up with you?