Wednesday, November 7, 2007

No Solicitors, Please

Do you ever get a telemarketing call where they ask to speak to your mom or dad? I love these kind of calls because then I can just say no and hang up. I don't feel bad doing this when they think I'm just some young punk. I guess my voice makes me sound young... or maybe it's the way I say my s's (or should that be spelled ses or s-es or s-ez?).

Anyway, it's even more fun when you answer the door and they ask if your mom or dad is home. They can see me and they still think I'm some young punk. I just say no and close the door. They must not see upon first glance my graying hair or the three munchkins calling me mom or even the huge belly I'm sporting these days. It's usually kind of funny.

But I kind of scared myself last night when someone rang the door bell at almost 8 pm and Josh wasn't home yet. Who solicits at 8pm?! I thought it might be a neighbor or something even though I didn't recognize him through the peephole. Maybe it was because our windows were all wide open and he could hear that we were home that I decided to open the door. Once I opened the door, I really wished that I hadn't. A strong feeling came over me and I just wanted to shut the door. He asked if my mom or dad was home and I said, "No," and started to shut the door. He caught on... maybe it was the belly... and said, "Oh, are you the homeowner?" I said, "No," again and then shut the door fast.

I felt like I was being rude, but I didn't care that much. Except for the fact that he might kick the door down or spy on us through the windows... waiting for the right moment to jump through with the chainsaw and Halloween all of us. OK, I don't really watch horror movies, but I know there was one with a chainsaw and one called Halloween--probably not the same flick. My point is that I was really freaking myself out.

I gathered the kids in my room and we sat on the bed and had a little talk about how we should not open the door to strangers. I told them again about our rule to NOT go running to open the door without knowing who is on the other side. They always need our permission before opening the door.

I'm considering getting a NO SOLICITORS sign (even though it's already supposed to be illegal in our neighborhood) and I'm almost convinced that I should not open the door to strangers at all. Crazy stuff happens these days, and it's sad that it's like that now, but it's better to be safe than sorry. Right?

6 comments:

KAPELE KREW said...

I hate solicitors! I had one that started yelling at me and I had to call the cops...I had asked the guy to leave several times and he just kept going off on me. I was way big pregnant and very emotional. I was polite at first, but he kept pushing the stupid magazines. I asked him to leave and he said No! I started to get scared and then he started yelling. So I yelled back hoping to get the attention of neighbors. He even cussed at me. I was totally freaked out. Frank was not home. When the cop came he said that if you ask them to leave and they don't it's trespassing. They also have to have a license to solicite, with a picture I.D. or it's illigal. So now I have no problem asking for I.D. and I have no problem being so forward and telling them to leave. Anyway, it turns out this guy had done almost the same thing to another neighbor down the street. He got busted.

Trish said...

How scary! Yelling does not make people in the buying mood. Your guy was mental. Thanks for the info, too. I'll try to remember to card them the next time I forget that I won't open the door to a stranger.

Anonymous said...

We don't get too many soliciters around here, just people asking for mangos. When someone does come to my door, I'm usually terrified. Yesterday, I was feeding my baby when I heard a man's voice repeatedly saying, "Hello". I ignored it because I didn't recognize the voice. Later I heard someone walking around in my yard and then some shuffling under my house. I finished feeding the boy and looked out the back window to see the termite exterminator parked in the driveway. What a relief! But, seriously, they should call to let you know they'll be spraying poison under your house.

Trish said...

Hi Anna! I'd be among those people asking for mangoes. Yeah, there should be a rule against spraying poison without letting someone know. Hope baby is doing great!

KAPELE KREW said...

okay, time for more blog time BFF. I need some prego pics as well. I miss you!

Stewartville est. 1995 said...

I NEVER OPEN THE DOOR TO ANYONE I DON'T RECOGNIZE....AND EVEN THEN

I DON'T OPEN THE DOOR TO THOSE I DO RECOGNIZE UNLESS MY HOUSE IS SPOTLESS

HA HA

MY KIDS HAVE BEEN TAUGHT SINCE THEY WERE BABIES...TO SIT DOWN VERY QUIETLY AND BE STILL AND QUIET UNTIL I LET THEM KNOW THE PERSON IS GONE...
YOU CAN'T BE TOO CAREFUL
NOT ANYMORE!